Young Woman in Intensive Care After Drinking Insect-Contaminated Coffee at Palma Airport

A 21-year-old woman was rushed to the hospital after drinking insect-contaminated coffee from a vending machine at Palma Airport, Spain, suffering a severe allergic reaction. The airport has launched an investigation and shut down the machine.

author-image
Safak Costu
New Update
Young Woman in Intensive Care After Drinking Insect-Contaminated Coffee at Palma Airport

Young Woman in Intensive Care After Drinking Insect-Contaminated Coffee at Palma Airport

A 21-year-old woman is in hospital after drinking coffee from a vending machine contaminated with insects at Palma Airport in Majorca, Spain. The woman, who works for an airline company, purchased the coffee and noticed it had a strange taste. Upon further inspection, she found the cup was filled with insects.

Shortly after consuming the insect-contaminated coffee, the woman experienced a severe allergic reaction. Her face swelled up and her throat began to close, making it difficult for her to breathe. Airport medical staff quickly administered an adrenaline shot and rushed her to a hospital in Palma, where she spent 36 hours in the intensive care unit before being released.

The vending machine from which the tainted coffee was purchased has been shut down following the incident. The airport has initiated an investigation and ordered the vending machine company to inspect all of its machines, which have been taken out of service to assess potential public health risks.

Why this matters: This incident raises serious concerns about food safety and public health at a major international airport. It emphasizes the importance of proper maintenance and sanitation of food and beverage equipment to prevent contamination that can pose life-threatening risks to consumers.

The woman's family has filed a complaint with the National Police, warning of the possible public health hazard posed by the poorly maintained vending machine. "We want to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else," said a family member. "The airport and the vending machine company need to be held accountable for this unacceptable and dangerous situation." Authorities are investigating the incident as a potential crime against public health and reckless injury.

Key Takeaways

  • 21-year-old woman hospitalized after drinking insect-contaminated coffee
  • Severe allergic reaction caused swelling and difficulty breathing
  • Vending machine shut down, airport investigating public health risks
  • Woman's family filed complaint, seeking accountability for incident
  • Authorities investigating as potential crime against public health