Three Injured in Shooting at Kuala Lumpur International Airport

Shooting at KLIA raises security concerns: Illegal gun smuggling, need for stricter border controls and enhanced airport security measures implemented to prevent such incidents.

Shivani Chauhan
Updated On
New Update
Three Injured in Shooting at Kuala Lumpur International Airport

Three Injured in Shooting at Kuala Lumpur International Airport

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a shooting incident occurred at the arrival hall of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) Terminal 1 in Sepang, Malaysia. Three people were injured in what is believed to be an attempted murder by a local man targeting his wife, with a stray bullet hitting her bodyguard.

The suspected gunman, 38-year-old Hafizul Hawari, allegedly threw a firecracker and then fired two shots at his wife, Farah Md Isa, a travel agency owner, from a distance of 3-4 meters. One shot missed, while the other hit the stomach of Farah's bodyguard, Muhammad Nur Hadith, who was severely injured while trying to save his client. "The incident is believed to be a personal dispute, not an act of terrorism," stated a police spokesperson.

Hafizul, who is not a licensed gun owner, had obtained the weapon illegally from a neighboring country. He fled the scene following the shooting but was later arrested in Kota Bharu, Kelantan on Tuesday and remanded for seven days until April 22.

Why this matters: The shooting incident at KLIA has raised concerns about airport security and the issue of gun smuggling in Malaysia. It highlights the need for stricter border controls and enhanced security measures at the country's entry points to prevent such incidents and ensure public safety.

In response to the incident, the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) have increased security controls and the number of officers and personnel stationed at KLIA Terminal 1 and 2. The police have deployed additional officers and fully armed personnel around the departure and arrival halls to enhance security control and monitoring. This includes 23 officers and personnel at Terminal 1 and 14 at Terminal 2, who will be on a three-shift daily rotation and patrol the eight entry and exit points of the arrival and departure halls.

The police have also stationed two KLIA district police headquarters personnel at every level of Terminal 1, including the arrival and departure areas, and they will be partnering with General Operations Force (GOF) personnel in full operational gear and armed with their primary and secondary weapons. Additionally, the police plan to use e-scooters for future patrols to enable faster response times.

Discussions are underway between the police, National Security Council, and Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) to consider additional security measures at the airports, such as the installation of metal scanners at all entry points. Experts have emphasized the need for stricter control at the country's borders, including involving the military, to address the issue of smuggling and prevent similar incidents in the future.

The incident has prompted calls for implementing pre-security checks for all individuals entering airports, particularly civilians accessing public areas, to improve security and prevent such incidents. "The increased security measures are part of the police's efforts to ensure the safety and public order at the key entry points into Malaysia," stated the Selangor police chief, announcing the enhanced security measures at both KLIA terminals following the shooting.

Key Takeaways

  • Shooting incident at KLIA Terminal 1 in Malaysia, 3 injured in attempted murder
  • Suspected gunman obtained weapon illegally, arrested after fleeing the scene
  • Incident raises concerns about airport security and gun smuggling in Malaysia
  • Police increase security presence and measures at KLIA terminals to enhance safety
  • Discussions ongoing for additional security measures, including metal scanners at entries